The Edinburgh Branch Side by Side course is run once a year in the Autumn one morning per week for 5 weeks. The course is intended to help those who know/live/work with someone with Parkinson’s and who want to learn more about the professional help, drugs, benefits and support available. The course is free. If needed, help is available for transport and if respite is an issue this can be discussed with the Course Organiser (see below). A similar course is organised in the Spring by the West Lothian Support Group.
- The role of the Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist and information on prescribed drugs
- The role of the Parkinson’s UK Local Adviser and the help offered.
- Multidisciplinary therapists available, i.e. Speech, Physio and Occupational.
Feedback from previous course participants:
- “A wide ranging course covering many aspects of the support available for PwPs. One of the greatest benefits was talking with other carers about their current issues. I had no idea that there was so much support.”
- “This has been such a worthwhile course. The speakers were excellent and I feel more confident in accessing the support and help out there. It was also great to speak with others in the same situation – I have been feeling quite isolated out in East Lothian.”
- “I found it very informative. I learned lots of new things about the condition I didn’t know. I was really glad I attended all 5 sessions as all of the people there were a great support.”
- “I wish I had done this course when I first heard about it. I don’t know why I was so worried about coming. I’d recommend this course to everyone affected by Parkinson’s.”
The Edinburgh Branch Course is organised by:
Mrs Cathie Quinn,
9/1 Warriston Road, Edinburgh, EH7 4HJ
Tel: 0131 557 6438, 07703497354,
The 2019 course completed in November. Dates have yet to be set for the 2020 course. Please contact Cathie Quinn to register advance interest or for more information.
If interested in the West Lothian course, please contact Cathie and she will put you in touch with the West Lothian Support Group Course Organiser.