The Edinburgh Branch Side by Side course is run once a year in the Autumn one morning per week for 5 weeks. The course is intended to help those who know/live/work with someone with Parkinson’s and who want to learn more about the professional help, drugs, benefits and support available. The course is free. If needed, help is available for transport and if respite is an issue this can be discussed with the Course Organiser (see below). A similar course is organised in the Spring by the West Lothian Support Group.
- The role of the Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist and information on prescribed drugs
- The role of the Parkinson’s UK Local Adviser and the help offered.
- Multidisciplinary therapists available, i.e. Speech, Physio and Occupational.
Feedback from previous course participants:
- “A wide ranging course covering many aspects of the support available for PwPs. One of the greatest benefits was talking with other carers about their current issues. I had no idea that there was so much support.”
- “As a ‘carer’ (unofficial) I was keen to learn as much as I could about how it was to live with a Parkinson’s person. The course has been very informative across a broad spectrum and very caringly administered by Heather and Cathie. Thank you all.”
- “This has been such a worthwhile course. The speakers were excellent and I feel more confident in accessing the support and help out there. It was also great to speak with others in the same situation – I have been feeling quite isolated out in East Lothian.”
- “Cathie and Heather have been very welcoming and the hospitality was first rate – top notch scones! Thank you.”
The Edinburgh Branch Course is organised by:
Mrs Cathie Quinn,
9/1 Warriston Road, Edinburgh, EH7 4HJ
Tel: 0131 557 6438, 07703497354,
The 2019 course will run Mondays 10.30am to 12.30pm, 21st October to 25th November at Libertus, 20 Gracemount Drive, Edinburgh EH16 6RN. Please contact Cathie Quinn to reserve a place or for more information.
If interested in the West Lothian course, please contact Cathie and she will put you in touch with the West Lothian Support Group Course Organiser.