The Adult Community Speech & Language Therapy Service
- Are you finding it’s getting harder to talk?
- Is your voice getting quieter?
- Do people keep asking you to repeat yourself?
- Does anyone tell you that you mumble?
- Have you started avoiding some social situations because you think talking will be hard?
- Do you want to do something about it?
If you answered “yes” to the above then one of NHS Lothian’s Parkinson’s speech therapy groups could be for you. They are for anyone who has Parkinson’s who is experiencing voice, speech or general communication problems and wants to do something about it.
What happens at the Group?
- You will learn vocal exercises designed to increase the strength and coordination of the muscles in voice and speech production.
- You will have the opportunity to practise the techniques in structured speech tasks that eventually move on to free conversation
- You will work together to find solutions and share practical ideas to help you communicate more effectively
How to contact us
Groups are run in East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian and Edinburgh (Astley Ainslie Hospital). Groups format varies according to what suits the majority of clients and the relevant SLT service. This can vary from weekly ( e.g. from 6 to 8 weeks/ 2 hour sessions) to an intensive program with daily sessions delivered over a week. Group size varies between 6 to 10 clients. We are always looking for feedback to help us shape this service so please do not hesitate to let us know what you think!
The contact details are:
Edinburgh Adult Community Speech and Language Therapy Service,
Astley Ainslie Hospital
133 Grange Loan,
Edinburgh EH9 2HL
Tel:0131 537 9577
East Lothian Adult Community Speech and Language Therapy Service,
East Lothian EH41 3PF
Tel: 0131 536 8369
Midlothian Adult Community Speech and Language Therapy Service,
Newbattle Medical Centre
Blackcot, Mayfield, Dalkeith
EH 22 4AA
Tel: 0131 454 9544
West Lothian Speech and Language Therapy Service
St Johns Hospital
Howden road west
EH 54 6PP
Tel: 01506 524 191