Face-to-face events are currently suspended due to the Covid-19 measures.
In the meantime, a live online class run by our Instructor, Trevor Jones, takes place ON THURSDAYS FROM 12 NOON TILL 1PM.
To take part you need the following:
- internet access (wifi or mobile data)
- some form of screen device to join the live stream session – pc (with webcam), tablet, smartphone etc
- to download the Zoom App
- some space in your house (1 square metre minimum), or garden if you prefer
- bottles of water/tins of soup etc available for weights otherwise no specialist exercise equipment is necessary
- a sturdy dining chair for balance, seated exercises and sit-to-stands etc
Here is some information about the class content:
- warm up exercises to get your muscles warmed and joints loosened ready for the main exercise routine
- cardiovascular (or aerobic) exercises to keep your heart and lungs healthy and help you develop or maintain a healthy weight
- resistance (or strength) exercises to maintain your muscle mass, particularly if you are restricted in your normal activities whilst locked down
- some balance work
- lovely relaxing stretches to complete the session
- afterwards as an optional extra we can stay on and have a short chat together as we relax with a cuppa!
If you would like to join in, please contact Julia Melton via firstname.lastname@example.org or 0131 445 2500 and as the Branch is supporting facilitators’ online work, if you benefit from these sessions, you may consider making a donation to the Branch via our JustGiving page but please do not add Gift Aid as the Branch is not allowed to claim it where a service has been provided in relation to a donation. It would also help our Treasurer if you identified the activity e.g. Nordic Walking.
Nordic Walking Videos for PwPs Recommended by Parkinson’s UK
The British Nordic Walking Team has three 15-minute videos (warm up, main exercise and a cool down) on their website.
Nordic Walking Under Normal Circumstances
Where: The Meadows, Edinburgh – meet outside Pavilion Café, Jawbone Walk, EH9 1JU
When: Thursdays, 12 noon till 1pm
Instructor: Trevor Jones
Sessions are free and poles are provided. Care-partners are also welcome.
Member Bill Wright comments:
I took the training course in Nordic Walking (NW) and although I haven’t done as much as I wished, when I do, I find it invigorating and therapeutic. The major benefits are in my posture, left arm mobility, cardiovascular fitness and co-ordination. After the initial training, NW is a bit like marching, you swing your arms up before bringing the pole down onto the ground. This gives the upper body exercise as well as the legs and, if like me, you have one arm which doesn’t work so well when you are walking, this gets it moving! Once you get the hang of it, there’s also a range of weekly walks run by Trevor. These vary in length and fitness level required: my favourite is Portobello Beach on a Thursday morning – a bracing walk along the beach for an hour starting at 10am.
Trevor’s website is http://www.getmefitquick.co.uk.
You can see the Edinburgh Branch in action in this short video: